Wednesday 11 September 2013

Voyage by Emma


Hi everyone...
It's that time of the month again for me to share my latest post with you all and today, I decided to make a travel journal book cover. As always, I really hope you love what I've made!
To begin with I recycled some old cardboard packaging to form the cover of my travel journal, which I primed with gesso before painting it with Distress Paints. I always think it's a shame to cover up the background because I loved the look of all the colours of Distress Paint blending together but it had to be done as I don't think a painted background would've been of much interest!!!
Once the background was dry, I set about making my tags, which I swished through some Brushed Corduroy, Stormy Sky and Spun Sugar Distress Stain that I had put on my craft mat. I then blended the edges of the tag with Walnut Stain Distress Ink and added some Tumbled Glass DI through a Crafter's Workshop Stencil. Next, I added some interest to the tags, (which again got mostly covered up) with the following stamps: the ruler from A Stitch In Time by Katy FoxCalligraphic Mat 12Swirls, Splats and Dots and the Ink Blot Background.
Once the tags were complete, I attached a Idea-Ology File Tab to one of the tags, which I altered with Alcohol Ink and placed a Chit Chat Sticker inside. I added hand dyed seam binding to one tag and paper string to the second before attaching both tags to the background and die cut some cogs from chipboard using the Sizzix/Tim Holtz Gadget Gears die which I painted with Distress Paints and then added around the edge of the tags.
Next, I stamped the compass from the Tim Holtz Classics 1 stamp set onto Manila card and coloured it with Distress Markers. I inked and distressed the edges of the card and added it to my cover, together with the "Voyage" wording.

I stamped the stamps from the Katy Fox Carte Postale stamp set and added these to my cover. Then blended some more manila cardstock with DI's and stamped the quote from the Traveling Words stamp set and attached it to my cover with a Hinge Clip.
I finally added some Idea-Ology Mini Gears and tied a piece of paper string around the cover to complete it.

So, that's it from me for today and don't forget you still have plenty of time to join in with our Autumn challenge and the whole team are looking forward to seeing what you make and enter. For details, just click HERE.

Thank you so much for stopping by and I'm really looking forward to reading all your comments...see you again soon!
Emma x

10 comments:

Nikki said...

This is just amazing what a lot of detail to look at in one pretty tag :) hugs Nikki

Inkypinkycraft said...

Emma this is absolutely gorgeous , love all the layers and carefully thought out details x hugsx

Sid said...

Love all your layers !

Anonymous said...

That really is gorgeous.

Mary Elizabeth said...

What a fun piece!! Great texture and vintage feel. Love the layers!!! -- Mary Elizabeth

Artyjen said...

That's a wonderful cover...so inspirational ;)
xoxo Sioux

Anonymous said...

Such a gift in two senses of the word - you are gifted and anyone would want to be gifted this tag. Lovely work again, Emma xx

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

your hanger is gorgeous !! I love it !

Words and Pictures said...

It's so cool, Emma - love the layers and elements. That compass looks fabulous!
Alison x

Maggie said...

Ooooo Fabulous Emma love it I'm addicted to mini books etc and this cover is perfect for a mini travel journal so much detail.

MaggieH